Tawakoni State Park is a beautiful location to camp for a long weekend or on a longer term basis (for you full timers out there). The park is located about 1.5 hours east south east of Dallas TX.
- Full hook-ups available
- Concrete, fairly level RV pads
- Large lake with great fishing
- Small but nice beach and swimming area
- Flat terrain for casual cyclists
- Bike and hike trails short but plentiful
- Rest rooms and showers available if needed
- Plentiful pull-throughs
- Camp sites a little too close together
- A bit small for our taste. I like to Cycle, so during rainy season, when the trails aren’t available, I find it hard to get a good work out.
- Flat terrain for the casual hiker
- Small but nice boat dock area
- Rangers not accessible at night (at least they didn’t answer their phone; see related article at Darwin Award Winners.
- Careful of the roads in. They are rutted and snug. Very difficult to navigate at night. View raw footage below
Overall we enjoyed Lake Tawakoni (See Ground(ed) Chicken at this link) and would certainly consider coming back. I would not consider this a location for all conditions due to the muddy trails when it rains.
Latest posts by Gonzo (see all)
- We slept at the Durango Walmart, but we didn’t inhale! - September 5, 2016
- Revisiting Normal - August 7, 2016
- My Father - June 18, 2016