From cabins and full hook-up RV pads to challenging hiking and great cycling Lake Catherine State Park, AR. is one of our favorite state parks and lake!
Located in the Ouachita Mountains near Hot Springs, Arkansas, Lake Catherine is about a six-hour drive east of Dallas using I-30. One warning though, once you get off of the interstate the roads are small and tricky. We navigated this drive in a rain storm at night and I can tell you that Tempo was more than a little bit nervous! We made it safe and sound though and were overwhelmed by the beauty and tranquility of this park.
- Beautiful and challenging hiking trails. Very scenic.
- Full hook-up sites-a-plenty!
- Nice spacing between RV pads
- Friendly and very accomodating staff! We booked our second trip over the phone while on the drive and were able to reserve a specific site by prepaying with a credit card. The next day a ranger drove the paper wo
rk out to us so we would not have to break camp to sign paperwork (we don’t have a TOAD). Thanks guys!
- Firewood sold on site
- Very accommodating for dogs!
- Some of the RV sites are very steep so leveling is difficult to impossible in a Class A. Be sure and ask about the site when booking.
- No propane on site so be sure and stock up if camping during wintertime
- Electric plant across the lake is a real view spoiler, especially at night
- Transformer station behind site #70 can be a little loud at times
We can’t wait to go back to this fantastic lake and state park!
Latest posts by Gonzo (see all)
- We slept at the Durango Walmart, but we didn’t inhale! - September 5, 2016
- Revisiting Normal - August 7, 2016
- My Father - June 18, 2016