Cooper Lake State Park, TX is about three miles south of Cooper, Texas and north of Sulphur Springs, TX. The park consists of two separate units; Doctors Creek Unit is on the north side of the lake, and South Sulphur Unit is on the south side of the lake. Both are easy to get to from Dallas, TX using I-30 and heading east toward Sulphur Springs.
Cooper Lake is quite large and offers many forms of recreation such as boating, cycling, hiking, camping and even has an equestrian unit for your horse. Staying overnight? You can stay in a park cabin, pitch a tent or park your RV with hook ups.
- Rolling hills, great for cycling
- Spacious camping sites
- Great separation of camp sites for RV’ers
- Far from the city for excellent star gazing
- Hiking trails are well marked and long. Good work out!
- Friendly Texans everywhere!
- Pull through sites are available
- Not much grass at the camp sites, just dirt which is a real problem if you have pets
- Many of the RV sites do not have a lake view
- Not many full hook-up sites so if you plan to stay for awhile show up with empty tanks
- Unable to reserve a specific site
- Some RV pads are at a severe angle making it hard to level your rig
We enjoyed our two visits to Cooper Lake and look forward to going there again soon!
Latest posts by Gonzo (see all)
- We slept at the Durango Walmart, but we didn’t inhale! - September 5, 2016
- Revisiting Normal - August 7, 2016
- My Father - June 18, 2016